Sunday, October 19, 2014

Day 19: Memory Loss

Click here to see all the posts in this 31 day series

 I woke up this morning with God telling me to “Remember.” 

Some events took place after I felt my day was over last night that sent me straight to my knees yet again. And since I am writing every single day where I am processing all I am learning, I guess that means someone reading this needs the reminder as well.

Having a memory sure is a blessing. Have you seen the (not kid-friendly) movie “50 First Dates” where Adam Sandler falls in love with Drew Barrymore, but he did not know she has severe short term memory loss? Every day he has to woo her again and remind her of what they have been through on their daily dates until he is embedded on her brain so much that when he leaves her she can’t understand why she paints pictures of a man’s face she thinks she’s never met. Heartbreaking and so precious. The ending is sweet although there isn’t a miraculous healing. They just find a way to quickly help her remember…every. single. day. 

Until this morning I never realized how much I am like Drew’s character. Maybe some of you can relate as well? I have been through so much in my life and God has provided over and over and over again, but when I feel knocked down again it’s like I have memory loss and cannot remember any of it. Despair and anxiety creep in quickly to those places where yesterday were filled with joy and freedom. I think God is telling me I have a spirit that needs reminding. I believe that is why He brought this opportunity to write every single day. It forces me to remember what I have learned. I have to recall His goodness and love in order to push my flesh back into its place under God’s authority. 
 
I do believe after 15 years of following Jesus I have had God’s love embedded in my heart and mind, but there is zero shame in needing to be reminded. I just need to obey and do it. I need to recall the way He has always, constantly, without ceasing, provided for me. Every. Single. Day.

“Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? (As the Scriptures say, “For your sake we are killed every day; we are being slaughtered like sheep.”) No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.
And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 8:35-38 msg

No comments:

Post a Comment