Friday, October 24, 2014

In Alert Expectancy


24 straight posts I have published on this “sweet” blog. As I take a minute to reflect on that fact I am completely in awe of God and His ability to do ANYTHING. Ask Tyler, I am the opposite of a “morning person,” and yet for God has managed to get my lazy self out of bed early to type these messages from Him!

A friend asked how I have been able to do this writing challenge; it’s a daunting task. I loved her asking that question because I could be honest and say that the night before I begin to feel butterflies in my stomach over the next post. I tell God, what in the world will I write about tomorrow? And so clearly, in my spirit, He says, “Haven’t I provided the words every. single. time.? Go to sleep and have faith that I will equip you for this thing I have called you to do.” And each morning I pray about what needs to be said and He has provided. 24 straight times.

 Any other time of my life I would have been way too afraid and insecure to try a writing challenge like this, but after the trials I faced with my dear friends this past year and sitting with people in their grief, I can now attest to the fact that our God is indeed bigger than what I had previously thought. Even though it’s not like I had a picnic my whole life either and I probably should have already learned this about Him.

 “There’s more to come: We continue to shout our praise even when we’re hemmed in with troubles, because we know how troubles can develop passionate patience in us, and how that patience in turn forges the tempered steel of virtue, keeping us alert for whatever God will do next. In alert expectancy such as this, we’re never left feeling shortchanged. Quite the contrary—we can’t round up enough containers to hold everything God generously pours into our lives through the Holy Spirit!” Romans 5:3-4 msg

Y’all. I can’t round up enough containers to hold everything God is doing.

I cannot say my patience is passionate as the verse says necessarily, but I get what Paul is saying. I have been on high alert for months now and witnessed the fruit of waiting as God’s perfect timing is revealed. I didn’t say I wait perfectly, but I see the benefits of allowing God to work His plan rather than rushing ahead of Him causing myself pain and anxiety. I type that last sentence very hesitantly knowing there will be a time one of you will have to remind me that I said it!

So what do we do in this waiting period? We praise Him and we continue to ready ourselves for battle. Then we feel all “equipped” to fight and the only thing left to do is be still and know that He is God.
http://biblia.com/bible/esv/Psalm%2027.14
I received a text the other day from a friend right in the moment I felt like things were not moving along the way I thought they should be, 

“The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.” Exodus 14:14

It was just a short little verse that changed the trajectory of my day. It let me take a deep breath, lower my shoulders that have been up around my ears from tension for weeks now, and instead of feeling the need to be heard, it reminded me to be a listener.

Later I looked up the context of the verse. Moses was fleeing with his people to escape the Pharaoh and his Egyptian army. Just when they thought they might be getting away, they come across the enormous Red Sea in their path.

Imagine their desperation. Moses obeyed God and this is where He led them? The Israelites start questioning it all and whining about being brought to such an impossible place. God then parts the sea right down the middle and allows his people safe passage.

Who gets the glory after being delivered in that manner? Almighty God. No one else.

I feel power, peace and energy from the prayers so many of you are sending on behalf of my sister’s family…but this is when we wait expectantly for God to be who He says He is. I know He will provide. He is faithful.

What sea do you need parting in your life? Do you believe God can do it?

Be prepared. You’re up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it’s all over but the shouting you’ll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You’ll need them throughout your life. God’s Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other’s spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.” Ephesians 6:13-17 msg

No comments:

Post a Comment